Monday, May 11, 2015

Unholy boldness

It seems there is a trend amongst Christians and I've seen many broken hearts over it. I would like to believe they are well meaning while spewing unthoughtful opinions towards fellow believers. But often these opinions are so unscriptural in five different ways, I see nothing good connected to them. I've wiped the tears of many young new Christians confused by what they perceive as hate. Thankfully I've seen many seasoned believers be the target but grace. But grace allows forgiveness. It doesn't take away our human ability to feel hurt and confused. Sad to say, my reality is it makes me angry. This unholy boldness does not represent my Jesus well at all. And whether we like it or not, we are often the only Jesus some people see.
So then what? May I suggest praying and knowing Gods Word? Ephesians 4:29 taught me years ago, how powerful our words are to the ears of others. It tells us to minister grace unto the hearer. Nowhere does it say to tell em like it is. Nowhere does it give us permission to condemn others. Even Jesus, Creator of the Universe, came not to condemn but to save the world. I'm not referring to intimate conversations that are used to cultivate relationships, but off the cuff remarks to others one may not even know. Bold opinions posted in social media. Over and over, more and more I'm witnessing this.
Pray. Ask the Lord if He's ok with you sharing what you are about to say. I cannot tell you how many times I've deleted something or not shared it because I didn't have peace. It didn't line up with ministering grace.
Try a new practice. And it's not easy but the outcome is so fun, it becomes addictive. Encourage. Compliment. Find one thing good and express it. There are times it will be against every bone in you, but remember ministering grace.
A new saved woman comes to church in pants and you think ladies should only wear skirts ever, let alone to church. Tell her how pretty the color of her top is or how you love her matching earrings. Let God, through our precious Holy Spirit, teach and convict. (I'm just thrilled for people to come. Wear pajamas for all I care.)
In my early years of attending church, a young man I had been praying for got saved. I was so thrilled! He wore earrings and sported many tattoos. He came to church the next Sunday but I witnessed something horrific that forever shaped me. The pastor went up to this excited new baby in Christ and asked, " what's this?", pointing to his earring. That new babe never returned. Ever. His face fell and hurt was written everywhere.
I have story after story. I have lived story after story. So I love grace. There are never regrets in slathering grace all over the place. The addiction? Their smile. The sparkle in their eye or spring in their step. The bridge you just built to a new relationship and the possibility to mentor. The beauty in this new creature. So instead of unholy boldness, try Christ-like grace. Now that's scriptural!

1 comment:

  1. I couldn't agree more, sister. Legalism is what I call it. I am not sure that is the right term or not. I found out that there were people that used to come to our Church that didn't think I should be allowed to get up and sing because I wore a t-shirt to church. REALLY? When the apostle Paul said that he becomes all things to all people...he was say that he becomes relatable to others. We can do this without compromising the standard we have for our own lives or the Word of God. Okay...that is my two cents.....I love you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete